Cookie Cutter Pancakes

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF

It does not take much to make a day festive. Just a few cookie cutters and some pancake batter helped us to get in the holiday mood. I saw some cute pancake molds at Williams-Sonoma. I also saw the lack of money in my wallet. So I pulled out our cookie cutters, whipped up a batch of our favorite pancakes {recipe below} and heated up the griddle.

How to use your cookie cutters for pancakes.
*Heat your griddle or frying pan to about 325F. Place cookie cutters on hot griddle. Do not use plastic cookie cutters! {That should have been a no-brainer, right?} Only metal against the hot surface.


*Spray generously with nonstick spray, trying to get any curves and corners on the inside of the cookie cutter. Spoon batter into cookie cutter; it will spread to fill the shape.


*Allow pancake to cook, with mold in place, until nice and bubbly on top. Gently remove mold using a set of tongues {the metal cookie cutters will be hot}, then flip the pancake to finish cooking.


*Serve with powdered sugar, butter and syrup and some ice cold milk. :~)



Favorite Pancake Batter
1 1/2 c whole milk
1/4 c white vinegar
2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla

Place milk in a large bowl. Add vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to 'sour'. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in separate bowl. Whisk to combine. Add eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla to soured milk; whisk well. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture and whisk to combine.

Makes about 8 servings.

A Few Tips:
*The batter may be thinned slightly by adding a few tablespoons of water.
*Evaporated milk may be substituted for the whole milk; this works beautifully.
*Alternately, buttermilk may be substituted for the milk and vinegar.
*Combine all of the dry ingredients in a jar. Use a pretty ribbon to tie a card of instructions with a list of the wet ingredients and add a cookie cutter for a nice gift.


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that I found your blog posting. I was looking for easy pancakes to make. The cookie cutter shapes are so pretty, and are the perfect way to present food to picky little eaters. I find it so creative. I'm really bad at thinking of ways to make food like more edible.

    Your comment "Do not use plastic cookie cutters! {That should have been a no-brainer, right?}" was pretty funny. I mean it's a no-brainer now, but I know as a kid I wouldn't see a problem with it! My kids are always getting into trouble, which means they need constant supervision. Thanks for sharing these little pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always filled with so many wonderful ideas. This is such a fun one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, thank you. I think last year since I had a newborn, I put off much of the festivities. This year I plan to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun idea! i can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pancakes are one of the greatest all time breakfast foods.

    pancakes

    ReplyDelete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.