Cinnamon Scones with Vanilla Glaze

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF
My husband likes to bring me little treats; he's a sweetie! Sometimes flowers or sometimes a small trinket just to say 'I love you'.  The other day his gift was a vanilla scone from our local coffee shop.  It was tiny.  It was tasty.  It was his 'I love you' for the day.

I was certain he had been influenced in his decision of this gift by a recent trend in our kitchen.  I've been adapting my favorite blueberry scone recipe in various ways.  Mostly I've been making cranberry scones trying to use up the hoard of frozen cranberries I have in the freezer from the holidays.  The cranberry scones instantly became a favorite with my husband.


But now we're out of cranberries.  So with the inspiration from the inspired scone gift {does that make sense} I made cinnamon scones.  They are actually a combination of two recipes.  The second recipe is for a vanilla glaze I use for cupcakes and muffins.  Just dip the top of the scones in the glaze or drizzle.  I can't decide which I like better, dipped or drizzled.  I think drizzled.

You can make your own sweetheart some scones to let him {or her} know you love him.



Cinnamon Scones with Vanilla Glaze
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Vanilla Glaze {recipe follows}

Preheat oven to 350F
Combine sour cream and baking soda; set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Beat egg with vanilla. Mix creamed butter and sugar with egg and vanilla. Combine remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cream of tartar and salt.

Add dry ingredients to egg/butter mixture but do not over mix; mixture will be crumbly like pie or biscuit dough. Add sour cream with baking soda to mixture; again, do not over mix; mixture should just begin to pull together. Use hands to bring all bits together.

Flour work surface well. Place dough onto surface and knead a bit to smooth out. Divide dough into three roughly equal sections.  Shape dough into disc and roll to 1" thickness reshaping as needed. Cut disc into 6-8 wedges. Place wedges on greased cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart. Cook on 350F for 15-20 minutes, until golden on bottom edges and slightly golden on top.

Remove to wire rack to cool.  While cooling, make vanilla glaze.

Vanilla Glaze~ Melt 1/3 cup butter over low heat.  Whisk in 1.5 cups confectioners' sugar and 1~2 tsp vanilla.  Stir in 1+ tbsp half n half, to desired consistency.  Dip tops of scones or drizzle across tops with a spoon.  If dipping and drizzling, dip first with a thicker glaze. Then thin with more half n half and drizzle across tops of scones.

Makes 18~24 medium triangular scones.

2 comments:

  1. Drizzled. But only if it covers the entire scone. OK, dipped then;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drizzled, Dipped. You same tomato. . . . They're the same :-)

      Delete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.