Cheesy Beans and Rice Burritos~ Make Ahead Lunch

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF
A few weeks ago I shared a recipe for homemade Hot Pockets, which is just about my children's favorite food.  Here is another food my children will often ask for.


I used to buy bean burritos from the frozen section at the grocery and my children loved them.  But I found out how easy and inexpensive they are to make at home. I based this recipe on ingredient amounts that are easy to remember and the ratio works well.  Now my children, especially my 11 year old son, requests these and makes certain I know he will eat more than one.


Cheesy Beans and Rice Burritos
2 15.5 oz cans pinto beans, drained
4 c cooked, cold rice
3 c shredded cheese, divided
2 c salsa {depends on how gooey you want it}
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
8 10" flour tortillas

Combine beans, rice, salsa and 2 cups of cheese in frying pan.  Season with cumin and salt.  Heat, stirring occasionally.  Heat flour tortillas til warm and pliable {keeping covered with moist towel once heated helps prevent cracking}.  Spoon rice mixture onto middle of tortilla, top with a bit more cheese, fold and wrap burrito.  Wrap in foil or wax paper and store in freezer bag for future lunches.  To reheat frozen burrito, wrap in paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes.


Tips and Tricks~
*Heat tortillas in microwave for 1~2 minutes, keeping covered with a moist towel.  The moisture will keep the tortillas from cracking as they are rolled.
*If making these to enjoy the same day, wrap individually in foil and keep warm in crock pot.  This makes a great meal for children's parties or gatherings of any kind.
*Making these with different cheese and salsas allows for an almost infinite possibility of flavors.  Like yours spicy?  Use hot salsa and pepper~jack cheese.  Want something a bit more tangy?  Use a lime salsa and mild jack cheese.

Pin It


8 comments:

  1. Sheila you do such a great job with giving us extra tips and tricks! I haven't made breakfast tacos in a while and this post reminded me to do so.
    Love the crockpot tip BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I think I'm in love with my crock pot.

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea. My kids went through a phase when they liked me having a supply of home made burritos in the freezer, and then we kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, I will have to ask them if it sounds good once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately I've been revisiting recipes I've forgotten. It's funny how something that has been a favorite for so long suddenly gets left behind for some reason or other.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to try this! Thanks for the recipe & I love the tip using the crockpot to keep them warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! I find the crockpot helpful for keeping prepared food hot.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:33 PM

    How many Calories is each Burrito?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but there are calorie calculators for recipes online. I'm not great about tracking calories!

      Delete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.