Sausage Gravy

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF

As a child I spent many days in the country kitchen of my grandmother in Southern Virginia. Way down south in a place called Hillsville. It was a bit embarrassing to come back home, not only with a slight southern drawl I picked up, but having to tell my friends the name of the place I had been. But it was a rich experience, so different from the city life of Northern Virginia.

The best part about these visits was the table, or the food on the table. From sunup to sundown the table was filled with food that was made by the hands of my grandmother. She could not speak clearly so I would just nod my head as she tried to explain something to me. But my Aunt Lou could understand everything she said and sometimes would take a moment to explain to me. By far the best food of the day was that from breakfast. And the best part of breakfast was homemade biscuits and sausage gravy.

My aunt took the time to explain how to make biscuits and gravy, both without a recipe. The biscuits I have never mastered {I substitute these easy biscuit muffins that requires no rolling and cutting}. The gravy I have. It is easy. You will notice that I have listed a recipe but there really isn't a set amount of measurements to follow when you do this from memory. It is more of how the ingredients come together~ browning sausage, covering with flour then mixing with milk and adding more milk for the right consistency.

How to eat biscuits and gravy~


First crumble the biscuit so the gravy clothes it all.


Then top the crumbled biscuit with gravy. Dig in! 

Sausage Gravy 
1 lb sausage gravy {recommend sage}
1/2 c flour
2 cups milk, plus more for thinning gravy pepper to taste

Place sausage in a skillet and heat over medium~high. Use a wooden spoon to cut up sausage and stir as it cooks. Once sausage has cooked through, turn heat to high and brown, stirring frequently. Lower heat to medium~low. DO NOT DRAIN SAUSAGE. Sprinkle flour over sausage and stir to coat all pieces with flour. Add 2 cups of milk and stir with wooden spoon; continue to stir frequently as gravy heats to simmer. As it heats, the gravy thickens and you may want to add more flour to thin some. Add pepper and serve hot over biscuits.



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Dryden loves this dish, and asks for it often. I think it has made it to a Mason Jar for him too!

    ReplyDelete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.