Old Fasioned Banana Pudding with Candied Graham Crakcers

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF
*Updated Recipe*

Once a young man asked me to go to dinner with him; he took me to one of my favorite places to eat~ Artie's. It is owned and operated by a group that also runs Sweet Water restaurants but Artie's is the only one. Even though their dishes are not particularly fancy, they do offer two of my favorites, roasted chicken salad and old fashioned banana pudding.

I know, what sounds so wonderful about those? Well it is the way they make them and serve them. The chicken salad has the crispest and freshest lettuce, corn off the cob and creamy goat cheese aside juicy roasted chicken all tossed in a delightful champagne vinaigrette. That one I can almost duplicate at home.

The pudding is another beast entirely. It doesn't have an overwhelming banana flavor and is more like mousse than pudding. Instead of vanilla wafers or a pie crust, the pudding is served over a bed of candied graham cracker crumbs. It is a taste of heaven. And I have been trying to make it for a couple of years now. Last night, I did it!


I stumbled across a banana pudding recipe from Paula Dean with cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. I was a little skeptical but once I made it, with some alterations, I realized THIS WAS THE PUDDING I have been enjoying at Artie's! So I would like to share with you this wonderful dessert.

*I updated this recipe after finding this one at Blue Eyed Baker. The only thing that made me skeptical about Paula Dean's recipe was the cream cheese.  I really did not taste it in my favorite banana pudding from Artie's but the texture was it.

I made omitted the cream cheese and altered the quantities of the ingredients and have now updated the recipe.  My original recipe is still at the bottom of this post for those who may have made it before and want it as it was.

Old Fashioned Banana Pudding with Candied Graham Crackers


Ingredients

3 3.4 oz boxes instant vanilla pudding mix
2 1/2 cups milk
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups whipping cream

1 stick butter
1/4 c sugar
2 cups graham cracker crumbs

bananas {3-6, depending on personal taste}
chocolate syrup {for drizzling}

Directions

1. Combine the pudding mix, cold milk, and sweetened condensed milk; whisk til smooth but thickened. Set aside. Whip cream beginning on low speed gradually moving to medium high; whip till fluffy and holds shape.


2. Fold whipped cream into pudding. Chill in refrigerator for at least two hours.


3. In saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Continue to heat while stirring constantly for about five minutes until crumbs begin to lump together and harden. Allow to cool thoroughly. The crumbs will become crunchy as they cool.


4. Place some graham cracker crumbs on a dessert plate or in a bowl. Add desired amount of banana slices. Top with two scoops of pudding {using an ice cream scoop makes this easy}. Drizzle with chocolate syrup {caramel syrup would be wonderful, too}.


Serves between 12-16; or if you are me, about 6 servings!

By the way, the man became my husband. Wasn't he smart?

This is the original adaption of this recipe I cam up with.
  Ingredients
1 5 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups milk
2 cups whipping cream
1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick butter
1/4 c sugar
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
bananas {3-6, depending on personal taste}
chocolate syrup {for drizzling}


Whisk pudding mix and milk together.  Set aside.  Whip cream til fluffy and holds shape.  Blend whipped cream til smooth; stir into pudding.  Fold whipped cream into pudding.  Refrigerate at least two hours.  Continue with recipe as above.

16 comments:

  1. I thought this one was really good! It definitely did taste like the one at Arties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are the smart one in this story to finally figure out how to make that pudding. When you gave me some I tried to figure it out too but to no avail. I am happy you got it and now I can make it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FIGURING THIS OUT!! Seriously this is my favorite dessert of all time, I love the bannana pudding at Arties and I am VERY excited to try this out tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am so happy another Artie's pudding lover found this. I really hope you like and that it suits your taste. We went there about 2 weeks ago and my youngest daughter got the pudding. She said, "This tastes like the dessert mom makes." I love Arties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:40 PM

    YOU ARE MY HERO - I have been working on this for days and couldn't get it right. Thank you!!! ~sarah in fairfax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you find it to be what you are looking for, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cooked it at home once, it was not good. But I will try your recipe. I hope I will make good this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not certain what went wrong before, but this is a very good recipe.

      Delete
  8. thank u thank u thank uuuuu..now how does that restaurant chain do the key lime pie crust...it is also to die for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I don't think I've had it from Artie's but anything they make is great!

      Delete
  9. How would you do this without the instant pudding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly. You could make the pudding from scratch, chill it then use it in place of the instant pudding and milk in this recipe.

      Here is a simple scratch recipe for vanilla pudding from allrecipes in case you need one.

      http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15062/pudding-from-scratch/

      Delete
  10. I cannot wait to make this! We used to go to Silverado just so we can eat this but now they don’t carry it anymore! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that this could be found at other restaurants. It's definitely delicious!

      Delete
  11. So is there no banana in the pudding itself, the one from Artie's always seemed to have a banana flavor to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure there was no banana in the actual pudding but that was just tasting and reading the description. They no longer have this so I cannot verify it now. Either way, this is one of our favorite summertime desserts. :-)

      Delete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.