A few years ago I made an herb pull-apart bread to accompany our dinner. The children loved it. Unfortunately I did not save the recipe; I don't even remotely remember where I got it from. I have searched but without success.
Most recipes I find for herb pull-apart bread calls for frozen bread dough or refrigerated biscuit dough. I remember neither of those in that recipe. I did recall that the dough from this lemon pull-apart bread was fantastic and very nice to work with. I decreased the amount of sugar in the dough and used herbs and cheese instead of the lemon and sugar butter coating.
This is how it turned out:
Cheese and Herb Pull-Apart Bread
1 3/4 c warm milk (110-115F)
2 tbsp white sugar
4 1/2 tsp yeast
4-5 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 c butter, divided and melted
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese (more for garnish)
1 green onion, chopped (more for garnish)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Mix sugar into warm milk. Add yeast and let set til foamy (5-10 minutes).
2. Combine 4 cups of flour and salt. Add 1/2 cup melted butter and milk mixture; blend well. Continue to add flour, 1/2 cup at a time and kneed till smooth and tacky but not sticky. This can be done by hand or in mixer with dough hook.
3. Place ball of dough in bowl which has been lightly greased. Toss dough around to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm spot (oven with light on is good) about 40-60 minutes or until about double in size.
4. Punch dough down. Divide dough into half. Roll each half into a rope about 16 inches long. Cut each rope into 16 pieces.
5. Place dough pieces in bowl and toss with 1/2 c melted butter. While continuing to toss, sprinkle with grated Parmesan, green onions, onion powder and garlic powder.
6. Place half of dough balls into greased bundt pan. Top evenly with shredded mozzarella. Add remaining dough balls. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes in warm spot.
7. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 350F. Bake bread for 35-40 minutes. Turn onto serving dish. Sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan and green onion slices.