Honey Crunch Pecan Pie

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF


When I think of pies for Thanksgiving, two come to mind. First, pumpkin pie. Then, pecan pie. I am not a pecan lover and had never understood why people so many favor them. That was . . . until I tried this pecan pie.

Why this pecan pie?
It is meaty pie packed with pecans, not just custard filling. Many pecan pies I tried which did not win me over had basically a custard filling topped with a few scattered pecans. This pie is filled with pecan pieces in the custard filling and topped with entire halves of pecans. The pecan topping is coated in honey and brown sugar which are slightly toasted. All of this make this pecan pie taste out of this world.

So enough said, let's make this pie!



Perfect Pecan Pie

Ingredients
single, unbaked pie crust
Filling~
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped pecans
Topping~
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons honey
2 full cups pecan halves

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Stir in chopped pecans. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Cover edges of crust; if you do not have a pie shield, use foil. Bake pie for 20 more minutes.
2. While pie is baking, make topping. Place butter, brown sugar and honey in a small sauce pan. Heat over low heat until butter and sugar are melted. Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
3. Spoon filling over pie. With edges still covered, bake for 15 more minutes. Allow pie to completely cool before serving.



Tips~
*To chop pecans, just pulse in food processor or lightly smash while inside a plastic bag.
*Measure pecans after they are chopped so you have a pecan filled custard.
*A pie shield is so helpful to keep crusts from burning. Foil is difficult to get to stay on the crust and I have burned many fingers (not all my own) trying to apply foil to pie crusts.
*Pie should be completely cooled to room temperature before serving to allow custard to set properly.
*Place pie on foil lined cookie sheet to prevent spills onto oven floor. This is an overflowing pie.

~Happy Thanksgiving~

6 comments:

  1. All I can say is yum!!! This looks delicious! I hope you had a very blessed Thanksgiving. I hope all is well, and the baby is doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks so fantastic. I love the yummy filling and so as the toppings. Indeed, a perfect pecan pie for thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie S.12:43 PM

    How did you make your crust so cute?? The leaves are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! I used pie crust cutters, though you could use mini cookie cutters. The only difference is the pie crust cutters have a small spring handle that helps to push the cut piece out of the cutter. I then used a dab of water to glue the pieces onto the edge of the pie shell.

      I got my cutters a few years ago at William-Sonoma. They do not have the exact set, but they have another similar set.

      http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/fall-piecrust-cutters/?pkey=e|pie%2Bcrust%2Bcutter|3|best|0|1|24||2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

      Happy Baking!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:49 PM

    I thought this was it... finally the pecan pie without corn syrup. I will try it by substituting maple syrup for the corn syrup. Corn syrup makes me cough and my throat closes up; therefore, I eat no corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's terrible. You can sub 1/4 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup of water. Simmer just to get sugar dissolved.

      Delete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.