Morning Glory Muffins

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF
Just the name of these make me want to wake up and eat one. Muffins are terrific little bundles of goodness and comfort. And these are no exception.


Almost a carrot cake but not quite, Morning Glory Muffins are packed full of energizing taste bits~ carrots, apples, coconut, the list goes on.


Just look at the batter~ loaded with freshly grated carrots and apples, dried cranberries and almonds. So good, to eat and for you!

I made 24 of these little things and they were nearly gone the first day. It didn't hurt that I found some leftover butter cream frosting to make them more of a cupcake for breakfast. I enjoyed mine without the added sugar though, thank you very much. And they were great.

Actually, I cut back on the sugar in the original recipe, as I do with many recipes I find. I also substituted craisins for the raisins since I despise the latter {sorry to all of those who like dehydrated grapes, just not for me}. Another thing I just don't like in muffins or cakes, walnuts or pecans. So for this little package of sweetness I used slivered almonds; yummy!

After allowing these to cool, I wrapped them in waxed paper liners then placed them in a freezer bag and stored them in the freezer.




Just pop a muffin in the microwave for 20 seconds and your breakfast is ready.

Served with some cheese or a glass of milk for protein, they make a complete and nutritious start to the day.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery on this breakfast. . .
* I found some more muffins!
* Could you pass me another one please?
* Great for a snack later in the day, too.
* Uh, there okay.

This last one was from one who doesn't usually like to eat breakfast. Take my word for it, they were glorious, morning glorious.


Morning Glory Muffins

from allrecipes.com with a few adjustments
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup Craisins
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 apple, peeled and cored and shredded
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in carrots and Crasins, almonds, coconut and apple.  In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Stir egg mixture into the carrot mixture, just until moist. Scoop batter into paper muffin liners {use an ice cream scoop for ease}.  Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I love your comments from the peanut gallery. You are such a great mom and COOK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite muffin of all time is the glorious Morning Glory! The name is the best and they taste divine! I never thought to substitute buttermilk for the oil. I will try that next time! I have used appesauce and that works as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great and hearty breakfast! I am enjoying these breakfast posts, I need to get organized!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:15 PM

    I've heard about these muffins before and that they were delicious. My hubby would love the carrot cake likeness.

    ReplyDelete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.