Free Crochet Pattern~ Baby Cocoon with Cables {AKA Sleep Sack}

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF
I've been amazed at how many were interested in the pattern for the Itty Bitty Bow Beanie!  I am still working on my skills at writing crochet patterns for others to follow, but I thought I would share this one I just came up with for a baby cocoon or as some may call it, a baby sleep sack.



The first thing I crocheted for my now 2 year old special blessing was a baby cocoon.  It was very simple with one stitch, a double crochet.  It was perfect for me as I was just regaining my skills in crochet.  And it was wonderful to be able to tuck her inside of to keep her tightly snuggled and warm.

I learned a few months ago that I am moving ahead, moving from mom to grandma here in a few more months.  Amazing!  So I'm working away on things for little babies again.  I decided to work on a crochet baby sleep sack that is relatively easy to crochet but has a nice pattern.  I'm always drawn to the cables I see in knit and try to do something similar with crochet.  I know it's possible, but still beyond my skills.  So here's what I came up with, inspired by a few of my favorite patterns I've used this year.  I wanted to make my own pattern to narrow the opening and have a gathered bottom.  I'm so pleased with the results.




The first inspiration piece is this ribbed hat which I have on my Etsy shop.  I love the chunky appearance that is achieved without using chunky yarn.  This inspired the pattern I use for the ribbed effect.  I just wanted a bit thicker one so it would look more like a cable.  The second pattern is one I've used for all the boys in my family but haven't made one to sell.  I liked how this pattern started with an opening that was then sewn closed.  The gathered closing was something a tad different than other sleep sacks I've seen.  I also found a helpful source in deciding how big to make the cocoon at Relief Share.  They have volunteers make baby cocoons to donate to their local hospital.  What a great idea!

The top edge has a stitch pattern that mimics slightly the ribbed effect and finishes the whole cocoon just the right way.  The pattern is for a cocoon that is about 18.5" long which should be great for an average newborn to use for a few months.  If you would like to make one a bit longer for a older baby, just add on another two inches before doing the top edge of the cocoon.

I'm so in love with this stitch and was just thrilled with how well it came out!  I'm working on a few different colors but really like it with earthy tones.  It seems kinds of Celtic to me.  I can't wait to tuck a little baby in one!



When my little one was born, I wrapped her in a flannel blanket then slid her into the cocoon.  Not necessary but it gave an added layer for warmth especially in cold months and climates.  Another bit of advice on using the cocoon.  If you fold or roll the top edge down about half way, slide it over the baby's feet, you can then just unfold up around the baby's arms. Leave the top folded down to where you want it to fit around the baby.

If you like this cocoon but do not think you have the time or skills, look at my Etsy shop, An Extra Blessing.  I use earnings from the shop to help pay for therapies for my sweet little Dianna who was born with Trisomy 21, Down syndrome.  If you do use the pattern for your own sales, please give a link back to me or my shop.  Blessings!

Crochet Pattern Baby Cocoon with Cables
H Hook
Lion Brand Heartland Yarn {or a soft acrylic WW4 yarn}

Stitches Used {US terms}
ch {chain}
sl st {slip stitch}
dc {double crochet}
fpdc {front post double crochet}
hdc {half double crochet}
hdc2tog {half double crochet 2 together}
sc {single crochet}

A note about the yarn.  I began working with a cotton and really did not like the stitch pattern.  The acrylic was much nicer.  Also, not all worsted weight 4 yarns are the same.  I really like the Heartland yarn as it seemed a bit weightier than say a Caron Simply Soft or baby yarns.  I have found that I do really like the feel and to work with Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton.  It is soft and easy to slide the crochet hook.

Body
Ch 41; without twisting chain, join to first st w sl st {40 st}
R1: Ch 2 {counts as 1st dc throughout pattern}, dc in same st and in ea st around; join w sl st to top of ch2 {40 st}
R2:  Ch 2, dc in same st; 2 dc in ea st around; join w sl st to top of ch2 {80 st}
R3:  Ch 2, dc in same st; fpdc in next 2 st; *dc in next 2 st; fpdc in next 2 st* around; join w sl st to top of ch2 {80 st, 40 dc, 40 fpdc}
R4:  Ch 2, dc in ea dc and fpdc in ea fpdc around;  join w sl st to top of ch2{80 st, 40 dc and 40 fpdc}
Repeat R4 until cocoon measures 17" from bottom to top.

Top Edge
R1: Ch 2, *hdc in ea dc; hdc2tog in fpdc* around {60 hdc}; join with sl st to top of ch 2
R2: Ch 1, sc in back loop only each hdc around; join with sl st to top of ch 1
R3: Ch 2, hdc in ea st around thru both loops; join with sl st to top of ch 2
R4: Ch1, sc in back loop only each hdc around; join with sl st to top of ch 1
Fasten off.

Finishing
At the bottom of cocoon {the beginning of the work}, use the beginning tail of yarn to whip stitch around opening.  Slowly pull tight to close cocoon.   Stitch thru the closed bottom a couple of times to secure.  Weave in all ends.

Pictorial Explanation of Gathering the Bottom with Whip Stitch~


Thread needle with finishing tail.

Working with right side out, skip a stitch and insert needle under the next chain stitch.

Continue skipping and inserting needle, making the whip stitch around the bottom of the sleep sack.

Once you've stitched around the bottom, begin to pull the yarn to gather the bottom together.

Pull tightly.  The yarn will hold strong, but there will be a small hole.  Thread the needle through the hole to the inside of the sack and turn inside out.

Pull yarn tight and cross over hole.  Stitch the hole closed.  Tie off and weave in loose yarn.


13 comments:

  1. Sheila -- these are so cute <3 And I also just saw your sandwich platter post -- everything looks so beautiful. I love to put together things like this, and your post was so inspirational. I think I've finally figured out a way past my blog issues, and am looking forward to posting once again, and also checking in with all of my favorite blogs again -- of which yours is one. I noticed you aren't on fb anymore. I miss seeing the pictures of your family. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica! No, I'm not on FB and I do miss keeping up with others especially newly formed friendships. I've noticed I've not seen new posts from you and was wondering if you were still having troubles. Glad you're figuring it out! Thank you for all the kind words :-)

      Delete
  2. Would you be willing to share the pattern for the matching hat as well? It is SUCH a cute set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to get that posted very soon. It is quite easy.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful, thank you for sharing! Before finding your pattern, I had already chosen a similar green color. When I saw this, I knew it was just meant to be! I will be pairing this with a corn on the cob styled hat for my nephew :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! You'll have to share a picture, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable, but not cabling. I have crocheted 40 years. It's ribbing. Nice ribbing, but still just ribbing. I do a lot of cabling and am a tester for a designer. You have to skip stitches then go back and crochet in teh ones you missed to cable. It's difficult and only for the experienced crocheter and still gives me fits. I found your blog when both my kids had babies in the past week and both separately found the cute little hat with a bow on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice this is a beautiful pattern and I'm giving this a try but I can't seem to place my dc and fpdc in the in the right space is it possible to send pictures of the steps as to where to place the dc and fpdc please I need your help thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:40 AM

    This ribbed pattern was just what I was looking for... and it worked up quick and easy. The baby's gender is not known, but they are living in Nebraska, the Cornhusker state, so I decided to do a green "Cornhusker" cocoon and completed the look with a yellow bobble hat which looked like the corn. Thanks for making my Cornhusker idea become a reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds so adorable! I'm happy to help! It works out to be really soft, too.

      Delete
  8. Would it be possible to get a guage for this pattern? You know how many stitches and rows in a 4"x4" piece? (Could be measured from your finished project!). That way I can adjust the crochet hook size to match the yarn I happen to have on hand so that I can work the pattern ...would be awesome if you could -- thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:59 PM

    I did as you stated in beginning with ch 41 & I sl st to the 1st ch & ch2 because ch2 count as 1st dc. I did a dc in same stitch but I came up with 41 st instead of 40. So I started over & I put a dc in every ch instead of doing 1dc in same as joining & I got 40. So what did I do wrong the 1st time because the ch2 counted as 1st dc. Please help

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wondering how wide it's supposed to be. Mine seems really wide for some reason and I'm not sure if it's the yarn I chose or what. It's 13 inches across when laid flat (before doing the top edge which I know will be narrower). Do I need to start over with a thinner #4 yarn?

    ReplyDelete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.