Fruit Hand Pies

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF

My brown bag lunches that I took to school usually consisted of peanut butter and jelly {smushed was better because it blended the flavors} or bologna and cheese with an apple or banana if I was lucky and that was about it. Occasionally I might get a Hostess cupcake or Twinkie, like for my birthday. Brown bag lunches have evolved but my packing skills have not so much. My children would love to have some of these mason jar meals, but I haven't gotten that far in my evolution yet. One day, I hope. But until then, I simply try to add one special thing.

These are fruit hand pies. My four year old has been asking me for apple pies everyday for a while now, so I decided to make these as a treat for all of the children. No, these are not apple {I had cherry pie filling in the pantry to use up}, but any fruit filling can be used. They can be kept in the fridge or freezer and reheated, but they taste just as great at room temperature straight out of the fossilized brown lunch bag.



Fruit Hand Pies
double pie crust recipe {I use this one}
1 lg cans pie filling
1 egg
2 tbsp water
sugar

Preheat oven to 375F and grease a foil lined cookie sheet.
1. Divide dough into half or thirds; roll dough section into a rectangle about 15x10". Cut into six to eight squares. Place a tablespoon of pie filling in the center of each square. After wetting the edges of square, fold over and seal by pressing edges with a fork.
2. Mix egg and water together to make egg wash. Brush pies with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
3. Place pies on a foil lined baking sheet that is well greased with butter or nonstick spray. Bake 375F for 25-30 minutes.

Makes about 16 hand pies.



Pie Dough Making Tip: Use your stand mixer for all the steps of making your pie dough. Place flour and salt in mixer. Add butter which has been cut into thin squares. Then use the paddle attachment to slowly mix until the butter has been cut in and resembles small peas. Add cold water and mix again until the dough all lumps together. Now you can lightly knead the dough on your counter and your pie dough is ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.